Brandon, FL asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for Florida

Q: Practice area question:

If you have person A who video taped person B

through an area where the curtain did not close properly and person B

was not aware of the exposure. Person A video tapes person B without

knowledge or consent as person B was in his/her alone engaged in a

private, sexual activity. Person A then takes the video and distributes

to people over the Internet, especially those who know person B. Is

this sexual harassment? Malicious stalking? Invasion of privacy?

Violation of civil rights? What type of attorney (practice area) would a

person need to stop this from continuing and seek action against person A?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tina El Fadel
Tina El Fadel
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is a crime and you should report it to the police. Florida is a two person consent state, it is a felony for someone to record another without their consent. Further, yes, this is an invasion of privacy as it was an electronic intrusion into a person's private quarters and possibly a public disclosure of private facts which a reasonable person would find offensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.