Tulsa, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: trafficking & gun charges in someones house,but nothing found on me. someone put my id in a purse with bags of marijuan

i was at a family members house and the family member had guns and drugs around. the police came there and charged me with everything because they found a purse with my id and a few bags of marijuana in it which wasn't even my purse. now i am being charged with trafficking, distribution of drugs, and possession of firearms. nothing was found on me and its not my house. can i fight this? and prove someone set me up putting my id in that purse with the drugs? before new law happened in 2017

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cannon
John Cannon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The prosecution has to prove you had dominion and control over the substances in order possession them; however, possession may be actual or constructive under Oklahoma law. The government has the burden, but you need an experienced attorney to fight for your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.