Attleboro, MA asked in Probate for Rhode Island

Q: Was told to expect inheritance. Over a year later, the will is still not probated. The widower doesn't disclose lawyer.

Shortly before she died, a friend informed me I was to inherit her house and business, which she shared with her brother. More than a year later, the will still hasn't been probated and the widower, who is in his 80s, refuses to disclose the lawyers handling the case. What are our options? We live in Rhode Island.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: GO to the town hall where the death occurred. If the case is not yet open, consider retaining an attorney to assist you in navigating this, sometimes complex, process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.