North Providence, RI asked in Real Estate Law for Rhode Island

Q: My dad owns his house we live in free an clear..He never married my mom so I don't have his last name.

His name was put on my birth cert. 2 yrs ago..My question is, can he sign the deed over to me without any taxes being owed on either end "his or mine" He payed 170000 and it's worth around 260000 on the market. I am on ssi with no other income..We live in R.I

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: A meeting with a practicing Trusts and Estates attorney would be his best investment at this time before contemplating any transfers without professional, confidential advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.