Niagara Falls, NY asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: My neighbor walked into my house uninvited and beat up my brother and left the property. Why wasn't he arrested?

The cops never questioned him and told me they couldn't arrest him even though their were witnesses who saw him come into my house

1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There probably was not probably cause at the time to make an arrest, absent a complainant. You have a viable complaint for trespassing and your brother has one for assault/battery. Thus, you or your brother needs to file a report/information/complaint with the Police Department OR directly to the Office of the District Attorney. I have found in these situations, that unless an arrest is made at the scene, the best way to go forward with pressing charges at this point is for you or your brother (preferably both on the same accusatory instrument) to file a complaint with the DA's Office.

Feel free to call with any questions,

Hope this helps,



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.