Big Stone Gap, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: plea deal changed my simple possession to possession of paraphernalia but on courtbar it still says sim. pos. why?

I was charged with a simple possession of marijuana less than 10g and as part of my plea deal it was supposed to be reduced to possession of paraphernalia. however when I search my name online through it is still listed as the simple possession charge and marked guilty. Why is this and is the possession charge or the paraphernalia charge what shows up on my record for background checks?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
G. Rex Flynn Jr.
G. Rex Flynn Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Arlington, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You should contact your previous attorney, or go to the clerk's office for the most specific answer to your question. appears to link to the Virginia Supreme Court's website, which I am very familiar with. When you pull up your case, under "charge information" it will have "possession of marijuana," correct? But, if you look directly below that field, and go down three other fields, you should see a field titled "Amended Charge." In THAT field, you should see, "possession of paraphernalia."

You're probably overlooking that field, which shows what your charge was changed to, and only seeing the original charge, and the guilty finding. But, if there was a guilty finding, you should examine whether the charge was amended, and what it was amended to. That will be the charge you were found guilty of, not the original.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.