Lexington, SC asked in Constitutional Law, Consumer Law and Small Claims for South Carolina

Q: We had a company come to the house sell us a $7500 water softener installed now they want $1900 to take it out 2 days la

2 days later it's always dripping and we weren't informed about a lot of hidden details about it. Can they charge us this money to take out the system?

1 Lawyer Answer
D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: If the system was not properly installed, you should demand that the company repair the system before you pay any additional money.

If you are not able to obtain satisfaction with the company, be sure to make sure that the company you used is licensed to work where you live. Unlicensed contractors cannot sue and demand payment in South Carolina.

You can also file a complaint with the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs and it will investigate the company if it not doing its work properly.

Finally, you need to contact an attorney in the area where you live. That attorney may either take the case against this company or know of an attorney who handles this type of case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.