Mcallen, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: I live in a different state from my child. How can I see my child more her father won't allow her to visit me?

I live in Texas and my child is in New Jersey.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hackettstown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There's really not enough information to provide you with an adequate answer. However, assuming New Jersey has jurisdiction, you should consult with a family law attorney. The attorney will interview you and gather all the facts necessary and provide you with the best option(s). You'll then be able to decide how to best proceed. You should also know two things: (1) that New Jersey courts will first determine what the best interests of the child are before making a ruling, and (2) children have the right [in all states] to have both parents in their lives. Be sure to look for an attorney that gives free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.