Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for North Dakota

Q: Police came to apartment after girlfriend called claiming i hit hee but i was not there when they arrived but 2 warrants

Have been issued for my arresf 1 for simple assault domestic and the other for interfering with a 911 call what are my options and do they have a case its been almost 2 months since the warrants have been issued

2 Lawyer Answers

Nicholas Nelson

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: With active warrants you want to retain an attorney as soon as possible. If you truly were not there, you certainly would have a chance of beating the charges.

Your options are to either 1) continue absconding and wait to be either arrested or summoned to court or 2) get an attorney, then turn yourself in and hopefully get released on bail pending your trial - then gather witnesses that can account for your whereabouts on the night in question.

***This is general legal information, and I cannot provide adequate legal advice without first discussing with you in detail the particular facts and circumstances of your matter.***

Lucas Wynne

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: They have a case to arrest you on the warrant alone. Whether they will bring a new charge depends on the decision made by the prosecutor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.