Scottdale, PA asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need, ex wife recently used a credit card in my name that was supposed to be closed.

Called credit company, they said account is in my name and social security number, ex wife listed as user. I thought account was closed. When I bought a house last year this did not come up on credit report as even being open. There is over 15000 charged on it as of May, 2018 one payment made June 4, 2018. All credit card company said I can do is close it, if I do that I know payments will stop. They have her phone number and address but will not do anything about it. In the divorce settlement she was responsible for all credit card debt. I don't know who to talk to or if I can file identity fraud.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Initially, you should call the police and make a report. They'll investigate and determine whether or not to file criminal charges against her. Police activity is what the creditor will want to see to remove this account from your name, and to get it removed from your credit report. If it's determined that you did not open the account, you won't be responsible for it. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.