Star, ID asked in Child Custody and Civil Rights for Idaho

Q: Will taking my ex to court for full while he is away make me look bad?

My ex husband and I have been divorced for over 4 years. But the metal and verbal abused has been still going strong. He has a new girlfriend in the picture and lately he has been trying to give her power of attorney over our kids because he doesn't want me to have them. Even though his being nice and civil now. Who knows how long that will last. He left the state for work and his only home 1 week out of the month where I have the kids 100 percent of the time. I am wanting to take him to court for full custody. But I feel like all the text messages and the paper work to show how he has been hurting both the kids and has choice not to be there. I am worried that court wont look at the text messages.

verbal text messages. as well threats on top of threats

letters from my sons 1,2,3 grade teachers.

testing from his doctor, counselor as well brain balance

as well the behavior program he was on last year for 3rd grade.

Would I end up losing my kids in all of this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: In order to get full custody, or any change in previous orders for custody you must show the Court that since the time of the last order there have been changes in you, in the father, in the amount of time each spends with the children, violence etc. and those changes in circumstances have to be significant and ongoing. It won't look bad if you file while he's away, you just might want to wait till he comes back so you can serve him though. You could file while he's away but the court won't act on anything you say, until you prove that the father has been served a copy of your papers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.