Fuquay Varina, NC asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: Can a child who is 17 years and 9 months old leave the home with there child whom they have full custody of?

She is 17 and 9 months engaged and finished school had full custody of her child and she wants to leave her home in Virginia and come live with us in N.C. she is already here and she just doesn't want to go back. Can anyone legally make her go back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Having a child doesn't make you an adult - she is a child until she is 18. So whoever has custody of her can likely much make her go back for the next 3 months or so. You should be more concerned about not who can make her go back but who can have you charge with crimes for your involvement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.