El Sobrante, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: I will become a US citizen in about 9 months I applied about 2 months ago and did a finger print about month ago in San

I will become a US citizen in about 9 months I applied about

2 months ago and did a finger print about month ago in San


My dad who is a Canadian citizen just came here visiting me

legally 3 days ago .

in July 2014 he was deported from California because of

overstaying and was not allowed to come back to US for 5

years . in 2017 he applied( I-212) for Permission to

Reapply for Admission into US After Deportation and it was

granted in March 2017 .

since 2017 he came here 3 times and went back to Canada .

My question is if my dad stays in US and when I become a US

citizen can I apply and get him a green card ? by the time I

am citizen he will be overstaying for 6 months . I am 23

years old. my dad never had a criminal record . the reason

he wants to stay here is because of my 16 years old (US

Citizen) sister is seriously sick, TNX

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When you became a US citizen, you can sponsor your father for a green card. Rather than overstaying, why doesn't he apply for an extension of his status?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.