San Jose, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can I travel back to my country of asylum with a travel document and green card status(granted from Parent becoming citi

Can I travel back to my country of asylum with a travel document and green card status(granted from Parent becoming citizens)

Looking to go back for the funeral of my grandfather, applied for a travel document and stated this reason for returning to my country.

I understand due to my status it’s fragile to travel as my status can be revoked.


-Never applied for anything from my country or any other country

-Clean background

-In my travel doc app, I stated where I’ll Be going and why ..with proof attached

-My entire family are now all citizens, I’m the only green card holder.

Due to the current state of US immigration, I would love to know truly what my options are and if I get stuck in my countries what could be my next steps.

I really have to be present for this funeral.

Other notes

Country of origin is: Cameroon (central Africa)

Please help.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Seems like you understand the problem. Since your green card was based on asylum, and your asylum application was based on your fear of persecution in your country, if you now return to your country for your grandfather's funeral, your green card could be revoked and you may never be allowed to return to the US.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.