Oklahoma City, OK asked in Consumer Law for Oklahoma

Q: I bought a vehicle in oklahoma in feb18 with buy here pay here that had their own finance company. I surrendered .

I surrendered the car due to inability to pay in early April it took them until June 9

to send me the letter. They refuse to talk with me via written communication they want to talk on the phone instead so I'm unable to have any proof of what was said.

Because of change in financial status. I have offered them $100.00 month. If they refuse that amount can they still go to arbitration to garnish wages do they not have a cir court order to do that? And how much by law can they take in OK?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd Laster
Todd Laster
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The deficiency balance that is still owed can be collected by the creditor in State Court by receiving a judgment and then collecting on the judgment with a wage garnishment. In Oklahoma up to 24% of a debtor's wages can be garnished for this type of debt. deficiency balances on repossessions can be discharged in a bankruptcy. If you are unable to satisfy this debt with monthly payments or by offering a one time lump sum settlement amount you may want to consider a free consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.