Asked in Military Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I be discharged from the navy for depression?

Having a hard time dealing with my miscarriage. I have been in for two years and have been talking to a psychiatrist.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Monterey Park, CA

A: Yes. if you remain on LIMDU for more than three periods, you will be referred to the Physical Evaluation Board. The board will determine if your ability to perform your duties has been significantly impacted by your depression. If so, you'll be rated by the VA. If your rating is 30% or above, you'll be medically retired from the Navy. If less than 30%, you'll be medically separated.

The Navy provides free IPEB attorneys for you to ask questions of, located at all major military treatment facilities. if you're not near one, they will generally do field calls.

There are also civilian attorneys, like myself, who do this work as well.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.