Pennsylvania Military Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can I use my military ID/base access as a job recruiter or does this violate any laws regarding financial gain?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability, Business Law and Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Better check in with JAG corps on this--sounds like potential multiple violations. You should know that access is for the specific purpose only. Can you hand out cards, or other items? Not sure of that but if someone is looking to burn you you're giving them a match it seems to me.

Q: I took leave and was suppose to go to Texas, I went to California.My OIC gave me a slap on the wrist.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 29, 2018
Angelina Bradley's answer
Probably. The statute of limitations for false official statement and unauthorized absence are both longer than 2 months.

You should talk to your local Area Defense Counsel or Defense Service Office for advice. You can also reach out to a civilian military counsel like me for a consultation.

Good luck.

Q: Can I be discharged from the navy for depression?

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jul 10, 2018
Angelina Bradley's answer
Yes. if you remain on LIMDU for more than three periods, you will be referred to the Physical Evaluation Board. The board will determine if your ability to perform your duties has been significantly impacted by your depression. If so, you'll be rated by the VA. If your rating is 30% or above, you'll be medically retired from the Navy. If less than 30%, you'll be medically separated.

The Navy provides free IPEB attorneys for you to ask questions of, located at all major military...

Q: 2012 charged with assault consummate by battery, but it never went through any criminal proceedings. Honorable discharg

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 24, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Depends on the agency but usually that will attract at least extra scrutiny of your entire record. You may want to look at having that expunged.

Q: I am active duty military and am stationed in another state.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Military Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 12, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
Generally speaking, none of the states consider cost of living or living standards when determining child support. Most states have rules for calculating support orders which involve consideration of income only, not living expenses. You may want to consult by telephone with an attorney in the county where your support order was entered to see if there are any options open for you.

Q: Can you get introuble for prescribed marijuana? In the army

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 4, 2018
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
Yes. Marijuana possession is still a violation of federal law (and the UCMJ). Marijuana use (as discovered by drug testing) is a crime in of itself under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Q: I need to know how long it takes to be separated from the national guard in PA if I popped hot for hydrocodone

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on May 20, 2017
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
You will be given notification of separation, and depending on how many years of service you have and the characterization of the discharge they are seeking (General, OTH...), you will have an opportunity to contest it at an Admin Board or waive the board and be processed out. With the Guard, I would guess anywhere from 60-120 days.

Q: What are my benefits as a spouse of my husband of the military army branch incarcerated for many years with a child

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Apr 3, 2017
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
If he is incarcerated with the military, you have likely lost any pay and benefits.

Q: Leaving for Bootcamp soon, does my employer have to pay me?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Military Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Nov 3, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Your "vacation days" would be unpaid? The first sentence you quoted doesn't apply, because you normally are not in the reserves until you have undergone basic training. I don't believe the second sentence helps either, because as far as I know, there are no "requirements of law" providing that an employer must give you leave when you enlist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.