Muskogee, OK asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Can my child's dad take him out of state if no legal papers have been signed?

My fiance and I have separated recently, we have one child. We do not have legal papers over the baby yet but he wants to take him back to Texas where he lives for two weeks. Does he have the right and what should I do because I don't feel comfortable with him taking him for so long. He has always came to Oklahoma to see the baby on weekends.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cannon
John Cannon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: He does not have the authority to take the child out of state. You should mutually or independent initiate a paternity suit in Oklahoma with the assistant of counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.