Mckinney, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: I got a US district court violation notice, 36 CFR 2.13(a)(1). I was wondering if this will go on my record?

I was told on a phone call by a park ranger that this is similar to a speeding ticket, that it would be a class c misdemeanor/infraction. I only have to pay $130 for the violation. He also mentioned that as long as I pay the fine it shouldn't go on my record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This sounds like a scam.

Law enforcement officers typically don't call about class C misdemeanors.

Law enforcement officers typically don't ask for money, only the courts do that.

Paying a fine is the same as entering a plea of guilty or no contest, so it will stay on your record.

If they send you a ticket or citation, you'll want to contact the court to verify it is legitimate. Don't use the contact information printed on the ticket or citation, do an internet search on the name of the court and use the contact information from the court's webpage. If the court confirms the citation is legit, contact a local attorney to ask about possibilities for resolving the issue in a manner that keeps it off your record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.