Ridley Park, PA asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: On the deed with my husband but not the mortgage. Can I sell my ownership to my husband before the foreclosure process?

My husband added me to the deed after he bought the house. We are way behind with the payments. If the house is foreclosed I am going to lose ownership too . I am in the process of separation with my husband and I live in another state. I don't want to lose the money I spent for years on the mortgage . Is there any possibility that I sell my ownership to my husband before the foreclosure . The house is in Pennsylvania.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Elizabeth Tarasi

  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The bank forecloses on the property and they take the money necessary to pay what is owed. You will lose all rights you have in the property if it is foreclosed on. If your husband wants to pay you for what you have paid on the mortgage he can agree to do so.

W. J. Winterstein Jr.

  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The simple answer is- Yes. You can sell your interest in the property to whoever is willing to pay you for it. You are best advised to give a Quit Claim deed (no warranties) of your interest to your buyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.