Manchester, MD asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: My husbands ex wife has recently accused me of “stalking her neighborhood”, I haven’t, what should I do, if anything?

We live nearly two hours away, and has threatened to call her lawyer if the “behavior doesn’t stop”. She’s probably going to see “my vehicle” (I don’t own nor have I ever owned the vehicle she saw) again and call her attorney, despite my husband telling her it’s impossible that it’s me, but she only stated “I know what she looks like” and “I’ll get pictures next time”. She’s only seen me in person twice in 14 years, and the last time was 10 years ago, for a brief moment. I’m worried she’ll somehow get me arrested for stalking (even though I have proof I haven’t been anywhere near her neighborhood). What can I do? If anything? I feel threatened and a little unsafe, she’s known as being a little mentally unstable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan J. Jones
Bryan J. Jones
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlottesville, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you feel threatened by her, you may be able to get a protective order against her. The requirement to get a protected order is that she has placed you in imminent fear. That may be difficult if the only thing she is threatening is criminal charges. You should also avoid any contact with her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.