Phoenix, AZ asked in Collections for Arizona

Q: In AZ & received summons for a debt from 02/2012 for $3000. I want to deny the debt. Is it best to hire a lawyer?

I have an answer packet from the court but I want to fill it out using the best defense possible. Can I use SOL? I don't want to except this debt. Do I just put I deny the claim on the paper?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO

A: You'll increase your chances of a decent resolution if you hire an attorney. You'll have to decide, however, whether it makes financial sense to pay an attorney by the hour to defend against a $3000 claim. My guess is that after you call a couple of attorneys and they tell you that they charge $200+ per hour that you will decide to defend the case pro se. There are a lot of resources available online, but without having gone to law school and practices law, you will be at a disadvantage. Most debt collection firms are willing to negotiate payment plans and often even for a discount off the sum sought. A bird in the hand . . . .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.