Las Vegas, NV asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: Why must a Timeshare be Probated in Nevada when the Owner was never a resident of Nevada?

I inherited these Timeshares and was told the only way to get rid of them is to have them Probated through a Nevada Court. The original owner was never a resident of Nevada. The timeshare Main Office is in Florida. The Will states that I inherit any Real Property. To my understanding that is how Timeshares are classified as "Real Property. I have Probate documents signed by a Judge in California where the original owner was a life long resident. I can not afford a Probate Attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Unfortunately, Nevada takes the position that the timeshares are real property (real estate) not personal property. The deed probably has an Assessor's Parcel Number on it and was recorded as a deed. Nevada does not have a simple affidavit procedure for the transfer of real estate below a certain minimal value. Therefore, the timeshare company is correct that to transfer title you must do a probate procedure called a set-aside without administration. In all 50 states the rule is that real estate must be probated in the state where it is located. In some state timeshares are treated as contracts and not real estate but this is not the case in Nevada.

These timeshare are not automatically put in your name. Eventually, if the annual assessments are not paid the timeshare company will foreclose on them. Technically, to the extent that you inherit from the decedent, the time share company might be able to sue you for any loss they incurred in doing the foreclosure. However, I have not heard of this happening, although I cannot tell you it won't.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.