Ocala, FL asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: My son dropped out of school this year, he turns 18 in 2 months. Will I still have to pay support in Puerto Rico?

He turns 18 in Nov. and has decided not to continue education. He will begin to work on his own in a few weeks. What is the law for continuing child support payments even when the minor, soon to be an adult, dropped from school? He resides in Puerto Rico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good morning and thank you for using JUSTIA. Under local Puerto Rico Law a child is a minor until the age of 21. The law requires payment of child support until the age of 21 and until the court issues order to end payments even if he is no longer a student. Student status has nothing to do with the obligation to pay child support for minor children. Once your child turns 21 you must submit a motion to the court requesting order to halt child support payments.

However if he begins to work and has an income that can support his living expenses, you can petition the court for the elimination of child support order due to this change and the court can evaluate and eliminate the obligation to pay child support. Before doing this please consult an attorney since one must evaluate the entire case. If you need mor information, feel free to contact us.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.