Fort Sill, OK asked in Military Law for Oklahoma

Q: How much time does chain of command have to initiate a statement of charges?

I was on gate guard for 6 months. Never signed for any of the gear from supply person or anyone when I took over but I did sign out gear to each individual soldier. When I left, I signed over all gear to the new guy taking over and now 9 months later, they are saying some gear is missing and I may be responsible for some of the cost. Are they able to charge me although I had never signed for anything myself and that I made sure the new guy signed for everything and turned in copy of that hand receipt to the supply person.

All in all, I should not be responsible to pay if I never signed a hand receipt for the gear rom anyone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cannon
John Cannon
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You need legal assistance office or a retained attorney to assist you in your FLIPL rebuttal. Not having a signed hand receipt for government property is potentially a valid defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.