Q: How do I appeal/challenge a reversed Ex Parte order?

A woman stole my pets and began abusing and killing them. She would not allow me on the property to retrieve them, refused to communicate, showed many photos of my animals dead and dying, covered in blood, etc.

I got an Ex Parte order to get my animals from her. The police stupidly gave her 8 hours advanced notice, and she threw them into garbage bins and locked them (I saw as I was waiting for law enforcement to arrive to enforce my order). I was only able to retrieve one of my pets. The following day, this woman got her lawyer friend to file an appeal of my Ex Parte. They are supposed to give me at least 2 days advance notice; they only gave me a few hours advance notice, and I therefore missed the court date. Her reversal of my original order thus succeeded, and this woman has been stalking me trying to take back my one pet I saved from her before.

What forms/files do I need to file online to challenge this? This is an urgent matter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman
  • Palm Springs, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I don't know enough facts about your case, but I don't understand why the police, or an animal control agency, doesn't immediately arrest this woman for animal cruelty. Something doesn't make sense. You should get a lawyer ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.