Greensboro, NC asked in Employment Law for North Carolina

Q: If I gave a two week notice and then two days later my employer deducted money from my paycheck, dropping me to $3/hr?

Is it legal to deduct over $150 from my paycheck, dropping me to $3/hr, and without telling me until the moment my employer gave me my check?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Not if you are an employee. The wage and hour law covering employers in this state require the employer to give notice of a pay change before the work is performed. Employers must also must pay minimum wage and $3.00 is well below minimum wage. You can contact the North Carolina Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Bureau to file a charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.