Stillwater, OK asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas

Q: Several years ago a petroleum company removed a pump that was partially on my father's land. Can we still seek damage

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I assume you are asking whether you can recover damages to the land? Whether or not you can depends on a number of factors, such as how long ago the damage occurred, what kind of damage it is and the terms of any agreements between your father and the oil company. It is important to have an oil and gas attorney review these and other factors with you to determine if your father can assert a claim for damages. Be aware that there are statutes of limitations that prohibit bringing a claim after a certain length of time, so you should seek the advice of an attorney sooner rather than later. In addition, many states have funds that can be used to repair damage left by an oil company if the company is no longer in business. In Texas, that is the Texas Railroad Commission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.