Round Rock, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: We went through mediation, but my husband now refuses to sign the divorce decree. What can I do?

We both signed the mediation agreement. Can I get divorced even though he won't sign the decree?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan Joseph Fagan
Bryan Joseph Fagan
  • Humble, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: if one party refuses to sign a final decree of divorce that will be drafted by one party based on the M.S.A. Whatever their reasons may be, the party that does sign the decree will need to set a hearing to explain to the court what the situation is.

The party that refuses to sign the decree may attend the hearing if they choose and explain their unwillingness to sign. The judge will sign the Decree even if it lacks one party’s signature if he or she believes it conforms with what was agreed to in the M.S.A.

A divorce case, no matter how simple or straightforward it may appear at the outset, inevitably has some twists and turns that require experience and professionalism in handling them. The attorneys with the Law Office of Bryan Fagan are ready and able to listen to your concerns and to help you navigate the waters of your particular situation. Please contact our office today with any questions you may have and a licensed attorney will be available to meet with you at your convenience.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.