Asked in Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: I’ve been in a joint lease for about 4 months, is there any legal action I can take to get my name off?

after I moved back home my roommate & her boyfriend decided to stay & my name is still on the lease.. I haven’t been there for a month now & she refuses to add her boyfriend and release me from the lease & is still looking for me to help pay rent.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
L. Ilaine  Upton
L. Ilaine Upton
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: No, not really, not if you and she can't agree to this. You could ask the landlord, but don't expect anything out of this. You're the one who moved out. If her boyfriend is helping with the rent and you're not on the hook, thank your lucky stars.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The way to have your name removed from the residential lease is to enter into a written Amendment of the Lease with your Landlord and the other Tenant that states you are removed and released from the Lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.