Houston, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: I am 35yrs old, can I force my father legally to take a paternity test, against his free will to do so?

My father still refuses to take a paternity test for me, even now that I'm grown. He's afraid it will damage his name, reputation, and possibly cost him to be removed from the hall of fame for boxing if it comes back positive. And it will. What can I do about this? And if my results come back positive, am I entitled to anything now or in the past, because he never paid child support. Who would any such old funds go to ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan Joseph Fagan
Bryan Joseph Fagan
  • Humble, TX
  • Licensed in Texas


Under Section 160.606:

A proceeding to adjudicate the parentage of a child having no presumed, acknowledged, or adjudicated father may be commenced at any time, including after the date:

(1) the child becomes an adult; or

(2) an earlier proceeding to adjudicate paternity has been dismissed based on the application of a statute of limitation then in effect.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.