Asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Can my niece re-enter the u.s?

I have a niece in new zealand, she came to the united states when she was 7 in 2001 without a visa, she came in the visa waiver program and she stayed here in the u.s going to school, being with her parents and family, as well as me for 7 years, so when she was 14, she went back to new zealand and its been 10 years since she hasn't entered the united states, she's 23 now and i was wondering if she would be admissible to enter the u.s again if she came again on a visa waiver program or a visitor visa to the u.s?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: It has not been quite ten years, but technically, she should be able to reenter; however, give that she overstayed, she will likely run into some issues. Evidence of mitigating circumstances, as well as strong evidence of connections to New Zealand, will help her case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.