Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: My parents just willed me some land and mineral royalties in Louisiana. I want to leave 50% of the royalties to my wife.

My 3 sons will get the land and 50% of the royalties. Do I need a lawyer or can I make a will and have it notarized?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lynnwood, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You can draft a will without a lawyer, but it is important to follow the formalities required by Washington Law (I am assuming you live in WA). Merely having it notarized is not sufficient to create a will in Washington State.

RCW 11.12.020 contains the requirements for witnesses.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.