Macclenny, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I change my son's name, or add a second last name, myself?

My son is 12 years old. His biological father is military, stationed in Iowa (we live in Florida), he hasn't seen him in 6+ years and hasn't spoken to him in 3+ years. He does pay $600 a month in child support plus $200 for school clothes\supplies each new school year with no court order. We agreed on the child support and the school stuff probably 5 years ago and it hasn't changed since. I've been with my husband for 10 years and want to give my oldest son the option to have the same last name as his 3 younger brothers, myself and his (step) Dad.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Typically both parents must consent to a child’s name change or a court may order a child’s name change over a parent’s objection in certain circumstances if it is in the child’s best interest. If you have questions about your specific circumstances, you should speak with a qualified Florida family law attorney.

There are resources available that provide details on how to seek a minor child’s name change:

The Florida Courts have created the Florida Courts Help App that has forms, information, and step by step instructions for family law cases including a child’s name change. More information at:

Florida Supreme Court forms (which include instructions and further information) are available at:

Sometimes your local clerk will have forms packets with detailed step by step instructions available. For example, Hillsborough county clerk has these family law forms packets:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.