Elkton, MD asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: I have full physical and sole custody, visitation states its by my discretion that the father sees her. He is now

Showing more interest now that he has a new girlfriend. He ignores me when he has her and takes advantage of me often. He demands her and I am afraid if I say no he will try and take me to court for joint custody. He is an inattentive father and has not had her for more than 15 hours a week max since the separation. He is not abusive or anything but going to him makes her sad. She always cries and begs me not to let her stay too long. Joint custody would be awful for her. Is he even allowed to file for.custody after he has already signed over full rights to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Custody is always modifiable based on a material change of circumstances. However, to have joint custody granted involves a lot of factors such as ability of the parents to communicate, the location of the parents homes with respect to each other and the child's school, and the involvement of the parent seeking joint custody in the child's life.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.