Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: We have had our foster son for 1yr.DNA results just came back and dad has started working services.Do we have any rights

Dad was told from beginning he should start working services by CPS but didn't until it was made an order of the court after paternity test results. Judge granted 6 month extension because DNA results come back a few weeks before the 1 year court date. Our foster son is 1 year old now and we have been the only home he has ever been in, I brought him home straight from the hospital. Mom signed relinquishment at mediation. Do we have any rights to gain custody and hopefully adopt our foster son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bert Steinmann
Bert Steinmann
  • Conroe, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you do. Contact a local attorney immediately and review your options. Foster parents have right but the requirements are very specific. (Not intended to be specific legal advice or create an attorney client relationship.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.