Hillsboro, OR asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: what are our options?

me and my wife were assaulted by our oldest duaghter who is 16. we have a total of 4 kids including her 2 of which have special needs who witnessed the incident and traumatized by it. we called 911 police came and refused to arrest our daughter even though there was clear marks on both my wife and myself and our children all present to witness. my wife now needs surgery to repair her inury my daughter caused and my daughter has repeated the abuse twice more twards my wife with zero action from the DA or the police. In total we have contacted the police 11 times and dhs has been involved all have refused us any assistance because we as parents are safe for her as a child. why can we not get help and is there anything we can do to have our daughter legally removed due to the violent nature of her attacks. It seems as parent we dont matter and our family is in true danger.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If your daughter is a minor in your custody you have the legal right to commit her for a psychiatric evaluation or to put her in some type of institution that works with problem children. You would have to figure out how to pay for these services. Your health insurance might cover the psychiatric evaluation and inpatient treatment if that is prescribed. It sounds like she already has two children and she is only 16?????? You might want to Petition the court to appoint you as the legal guardian of your grandchildren so you can take care of them if you have to send your daughter somewhere. You will probably need to retain an attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.