Wentzville, MO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: How do I get guardianship over a minor child?

My almost 17 year old not legally adopted son of mine's step mother called and asked if he could come live with me due to circumstances between him and his father. I want full legal guardianship of him so that I can enroll him in school, take him to Dr. appointments, etc. What steps or forms do I need in order to do this?

He lives in a different county than me currently.

1 Lawyer Answer

Douglas Lee Bryan

  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It looks like you're in Missouri. You asked this in a forum for Louisiana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.