Asked in Education Law for New York

Q: I’m taking online courses, and I have been charged with academic dishonesty by the professor.

He think I shared my answer with other students, because my way of solving the math problems is similar to other students way, he don’t have prove that we cheated from each other and we didn’t cheat. I explained to him why we have the same solution because we studied together and we saw a similar math problem that became in the test before taking it. But he insisted that I shared my answer. HOWEVER, he don’t have prove of that. What should I do?. For the record the class am taking is not at my university.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You must take this seriously. Download the school handbook to understand the procedure for appealing this issue. Make sure you save all work and documents that support your case.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.