Westminster, MA asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for Massachusetts

Q: Caregiver for senior with dementia and diabetes suspected of abuse/neglect. Who to report to?

It's practically a known fact that the caregiver for my girlfriend's father (who is also my neighbor) has been negligent to the point of abuse. However there is no solid proof of this. Adult Protective Services asked him if he wanted them to begin an investigation. The man has dementia and can barely put 2 words together. He's not competent to answer such a question and the one who holds power of attorney is the one being accused of abuse. Today, the pharmacy has confirmed that his caregiver has not picked up his insulin (for diabetes) since April! A diabetic, going without insulin for at least 3-4 months due to WILLFUL negligence. Is this proof enough to take to his primary care physician and INSIST that this be reported to the authorities as a case of elder abuse/neglect? Thank you.

P.S. - And no! Going back to Adult "Protective" Services is not an option because they are pathetic and do NOTHING!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: This sounds like neglect and you should contact the Elder services office again to report that you have this information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.