Perris, CA asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for California


The Local child support agency had the wrong address on file for me. I did not no of any court order for child support was in place. The other parent in this case applied for public assents for her and my kids, at the time of her applying she reported the income she was receiving from me. I was giving her at the time $500/month+ clothes,shoes,what ever my kids needed. I would have my kids every Thursday - Monday. The trouble I have with the child support agency is the want me to pay back order child support from the date it was filed. And the amount is over $20,000.00. $20,000.00 in ARREARS.

Whats the next step i can take to clear this matter up, or is there any step I can take to clean this matter up. THANK YOU can you can you HELP?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Before speaking with an attorney, call the child support agency. Speak with the representative or lawyer who is assigned to this particular case and discuss your options with him/her. Be sure to also discuss your lack of notice of the pending action and of the fact that you have been paying Mom $500. You'll need to back that up with some kind of written proof. Do this right away because the interest will continue to accrue, so don't waste time. It costs you nothing to start by contacting CSSD directly. If that doesn't solve anything, then you resort to contacting an attorney. I'd say call me, but it appears that you may be too far away for me to be able to help you. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.