Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for North Dakota

Q: After being together 13 years, I broke up with my now ex. As retaliation he won’t let me see my daughter

I’m originally from Wa, and have lived in North Dakota with my daughter up until a year and a half ago when I needed immediate medical attention because of severe Crohn’s disease, malnutrition and heart failure. I am now on the mend and would like my daughter to live with me in Wa because that is where my medical team is. My now ex, who is the father of our daughter is wanting full custody of her. I’m terrified of moving back to ND because he has threatened mine and my daughters life and I know I will get sick again because the proper medical care is not there. My ex is mentally abusive, stole money from me and while he’s been in ND with our daughter, I’ve been paying all the bills and the rent. Where do I begin? I have no idea how to do this.

I am now back in Dickinson ND after battling numerous surgeries in WA state. Since upon my arrival back to my apt in Dickinson, the father of my daughter (who is not on the lease) has taken my apt keys, and stole guns registered to me

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun
  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: For starters, you should report the guns as stolen to the police.

If you have proof of any of what you said, seek help from an attorney to get full custody and a restraining order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.