Snellville, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: I want to sponsor my husband from another country but he is already in US through visit visa.

Hello, I am trying to sponsor my husband from another country. He is currently in US through visit visa. My question is, that am I still able to sponsor him while he is here? Or, he has to go back? Can he stay here until we get his interview notice and then go back for his interview? How long Is usually the timeframe for paperwork, interview to be done (I am US citizen) .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Safiya Webber Byars
Safiya Webber Byars
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Hello and thanks for your question. Generally United States citizen are able to sponsor their foreign national spouse for permanent residence, i.e "green card." Whether or not your husband will be able to attend his interview in the United States or return to his country is based on a number of factors. In addition please note that your spouse being married to you does not make him automatically eligible to obtain permanent residence. In addition to your marriage there are a number of additional requirements that your spouse must meet to ensure he is eligible to receive his permanent residence through your sponsorship. I would highly recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney at your earliest convenience. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.