Cedar Park, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Moving child support and visitations to Texas from Puerto Rico.

Moved 1 yr ago with 12 yo child (7th grade). Starting 8th grade, but after 1 mo vacation in Puerto Rico, child wants to stay in the Island. I discovered the child is being emotionally and psychologically abused by father and stepmother, and exposing child to sexual behavior. PR order states "tribunal deniega [caso] una vez menor resida en Texas..." I do not want my child exposed, so I want to stop visitation (father can come to TX to visit), and increase child support (last revision was in PR over 4 yrs ago). What do I need to do? I have all the phone texts, messages and photos of everything I have said. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good afternoon and thank you for using JUSTIA. You must file a motion in court with the evidence and request a hearing on the matter. At the hearing you will need to show that visits with the father in Puerto Rico are emotionaly and psychologicaly damaging to the child and why.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.