Central Point, OR asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: How can I file a tort claim myself after being fired for telling employer I'm going to see a cardiologist for my heart?

HR was already informed that I had to go to ER twice over rising blood pressure. I shared that I may have to go back to normal/initial job requirements before additional hours were added. I was told to come in and get FMLA paperwork and one hour later I was issued a formal dismissal via email stating that I have never been able to fulfill my job obligations (for over 15 months). This I happened to notice after my office hours, before I could even come in to headquarters to get the FMLA paperwork I was initially offered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Merrick
Jeff Merrick
  • Milwaukie, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your question raises several issues, including whether you have a "disability" and whether the employer had a duty to work with you to see if it could accommodate your disability.

If you want to chat, feel free to call.

Jeff Merrick



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.