Bainbridge, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: My husband died in Georgia in 2007, can I still file Quit Claim deed from 2007 in Fl avoiding probate on land

I am executor of late husband's estate in GA. He owned property in GA and FL. His will left all property to me in GA and FL. I still live in GA. I am current on FL taxes. Wakulla County. No house just land. I just found Quit Claim Deed in 2018 he signed before he died in 2007 deeding FL property to me. Can I still file the deed and transfer property to my name and avoid summary administration for small estate? Land worth under 75K when he died and now worth 30K. Thanks. I am retired court reporter. No assets and disabled. Can't afford lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John W. Chambers Jr
John W. Chambers Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the property is in Florida, you need to consult with an attorney who is familiar with Florida law. If you received Letters Testamentary in Georgia after probating your husband's Will in Georgia, there might be a way to deal with this property without having to file an ancillary probate proceeding since it has been so long since your husband died. It is my understanding that if the property were in Georgia, there might be a problem filing the deed at this time, as there would be no presumption of delivery of the deed to you prior to his death. In any event, Florida law would apply to property located in Florida. This response is intended to provide general information only, and not legal advice. You should consult with an attorney in Florida or one familiar with Florida law regarding this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.