Williston, ND asked in Family Law for North Dakota

Q: I am a 19 year old female and my parents told me I have 7 days to move out. What are my rights?

They have supported me my whole life sending me to private school and only until this summer did I get a job as they said it was unnecessary in the past. This summer they told me I had to live with them here in ND instead of our home in AZ. I was told I have 7 days to get out of the apartment by them, however I have no friends or family here other than coworkers and therefore, no place to go. The money I get from my job goes directly to paying for previous college classes and gas for the car they bought me. They told me they were going to take the car as well. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun
  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, any parental responsibility in North Dakota ended on your nineteenth birthday. They are no longer obligated to house you, feed you, or provide for you. If the care is in their name, then you no longer have a right to that either.

Please contact the Family Crisis Shelter in Williston, 421 34th street east. (701) 572-0757 and see if they can help arrange some shelter for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.