Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Arkansas

Q: My girlfriend is in trouble with Crawford and Sebastian County. Need pro Bono help?

She's facing multiple drug charges and failure to appear charge. She has medical issues and only began to get in trouble since this January. I can't find anyone to help. I believe that she was coerced into some things. Her history is that of abuse and neglect. She had a really bad head trauma in September of last year. She's unable to make appropriate decisions at times. I do believe this stems directly from her head injury for her social history with demonstrates otherwise. She struggles with activities of daily living due to severe anxiety and major depressive disorder. I feel that she is falling through the cracks and we can't get much help from the current Public Defense office.

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: I'll tell you that the Public Defenders who I deal with are excellent at their jobs. No, they do not have a lot of time for hand-holding. They certainly not available for family or boyfriends. Lawyers are not able to do pro bono work for criminal cases because there is the Public Defender's Office. Your girlfriend should tell her lawyers everything that will help her. And she should take their advice. If she has proof of a head injury, she should bring that evidence to her lawyers.

Please note though that if your GF is claiming mental infirmity, she might very well have the charges dismissed; however, she could be in a mental hospital for the rest of her life so be careful with challenging the case based on a mental disease.

I wish the lawyers out here, myself included, could help more people. All lawyers are bound by our rules of ethics to help people each year for 40 hours. In fact, we spend three times that helping people. We do our best but there is just too great a need.

Your GF has an entire team of lawyers dedicated to helping her. Give them a chance.

Thank you for your inquiry. Hope this gives you some help.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.