Randolph, MA asked in Probate and Social Security for Massachusetts

Q: How to amend name on Puerto Rico birth certificate?

My husband, born in Puerto Rico but raised in Massachusetts, cannot renew his driver's license because his name on the birth certificate is different than the one he has been using. When he was born, his father gave him his maternal grandmother's last name but did not include his own last name. When they moved to MA his mother inscribed him with his father's last name, same as his other brothers and sisters, unfortunately did not realize this would cause a problem later in life. What are his options for fixing this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It sounds like he needs to bring a Name Change Petition in the Probate Court having jurisdiction over where he lives and either hire counsel or follow the instructions on the form.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.