Northfield, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: In recovery with 2 children. They reside with their grandparent who limits me to 8 hours/wk. How can I get them back?

If no DYFS has been involved or any legal issues what can I do? I have been devastated and trying to get my children back but their grandparent is limiting me to 2 days a week for only a few hours with them. Faithfully I have been going for 6 months now even with a 2 hours bus commute and I'd like more time with them to begin transitioning them back with me full time. If no order was ever signed, what avenues should I take to get them more often to begin the transition ? Am I legally bound to her days and times she says work for her or can I gain more time with my children? Please help. I am lost without my children and love them very much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Brown
Adam Brown
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hoboken, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Very much of the answer depends on the court order. I do think you have recourse, however, a lawyer will need more information about the case. If there is a court order, you need to show a substantial change of circumstances affecting the welfare of your children to modify the order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.